All LAGOS pearl jewelry is crafted using the finest freshwater cultured pearls. As with all jewelry, LAGOS pearls will need attention as a result of daily wear. Pearls are naturally soft and require special storage and special care.
With normal wear, personal care products such as soaps and lotions can coat pearls with a film, dulling the pearls natural luster. Clean your pearls using a light, soapy solution (1 part mild detergent + 10 parts water). Dip a soft, non-abrasive cloth into the soapy solution and gently wipe your pearls with the cloth. Do not soak pearl jewelry directly in the soapy solution. Rinse the cloth with clean water, squeeze excess water from the cloth leaving it damp. Then, with the clean cloth gently wipe your pearls and repeat as needed. Place your pearls on a towel to air dry. Do not store your pearl jewelry until the piece is completely dry.
Even though LAGOS uses the latest strong-strand technology for our pearl necklaces, your piece will loosen and stretch over time. You should have your necklace restrung periodically regardless of how often you wear your LAGOS pearls.
Here are helpful suggestions to insure your pearls are safe from unnecessary wear and tear:
- Remember the rule - put your pearls on last - after you have completed your hair, perfume and make-up.
- Do not use a silver cleaner on pearl jewelry - even those pieces that combine pearls with sterling silver.
- Do not wear pearl jewelry in the ocean, hot tub, sauna, pool, bath or shower as water will damage the natural luster of pearls.
- Do not place pearls in an ultrasonic cleaner. Do not steam-clean pearls. Do not use any abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with an abrasive cloth. These cleaners will wear away the natural luster of your pearls.
- Maintain your jewelry. Your pearls may be taken to an authorized LAGOS retailer for refinishing. For a nominal fee, any piece that cannot be cleaned at home to your satisfaction can be sent to LAGOS.
Please email us at contact@LAGOS.com with any questions you may have about our cleaning instructions.